Korean Air is set to return to Melbourne with a seasonal Seoul service to launch later this year.
The South Korean flag carrier will take over the service formerly operated by Asiana Airlines prior to their merger, with three 787-9 flights to operate per week on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays from December 18 through March 14, 2027.
This content is available exclusively to Australian Aviation members.
A monthly membership is only $5.99 or save with our annual plans.
- Australian Aviation quarterly print & digital magazines
- Access to In Focus reports every month on our website
- Unlimited access to all Australian Aviation digital content
- Access to the Australian Aviation app
- Australian Aviation quarterly print & digital magazines
- Access to In Focus reports every month on our website
- Access to our Behind the Lens photo galleries and other exclusive content
- Daily news updates via our email bulletin
- Unlimited access to all Australian Aviation digital content
- Access to the Australian Aviation app
- Australian Aviation quarterly print & digital magazines
- Access to In Focus reports every month on our website
- Access to our Behind the Lens photo galleries and other exclusive content
- Daily news updates via our email bulletin
“Driven by steady growth in travel between South Korea and Australia, the new route complements Korean Air’s year-round operations to Sydney and Brisbane,” the airline said in a press release.
“The service provides travellers with expanded non-stop options to Australia’s key cultural and business hubs during the peak winter travel period.
“Home to over 5.3 million residents, Melbourne is a major metropolitan centre known for its culture, arts, gastronomy, sports, and education. The service caters to expanding cultural, business, and leisure exchanges between the two countries.”
The service will be the first time Korean Air has operated from Melbourne since 2013, and comes after the airport welcomed more than three million passengers in July, including more than a million international travellers.
“The resumption of Korean Air operations at Melbourne Airport is a great outcome for Victorian travellers and for our tourism and trade ties with South Korea,” said Melbourne Airport chief of aviation Jim Parashos.
“South Korea is one of the world’s major economies, and a reliable direct connection between Melbourne and Seoul matters for Victorian exporters, for our tourism sector and for the Korean community here in Victoria.
“We look forward to welcoming Korean Air back to Melbourne Airport and seeing this route continue to grow as part of the carrier’s long-haul strategy.
“Despite short term challenges, we’ve just come off a record financial year for international travel and we’re confident that growth will continue, which is why we’re investing in infrastructure such as our new Pick up and Drop Off zones, which are due to open in October.”
Melbourne Airport earlier this month released its draft 2027 Master Plan, which forecasts an estimated 75 million annual passengers by 2047.
The Master Plan, available online, outlines a suite of terminal upgrades, as well as infrastructure improvements, transport links, and a 345-metre eastern extension of the east-west runway to accommodate shortening at the western end for the upcoming third runway.
It comes as Melbourne embarks on massive upgrades to its international terminal, including enlarging and modernising check-in and baggage claim halls; growing its terminal footprint with improved lounges, waiting areas and retail; and adding five new gates to the existing pier.
Want to see more stories from trusted news sources?
Make Australian Aviation a preferred news source on Google.
Click here to add Australian Aviation as a preferred news source.