The government has announced the 45 airstrips in isolated communities that will receive upgrades as part of a long-term initiative.
Round seven of the Remote Airstrip Upgrade (RAU) Program will see $9 million spent on work such as improving runway surfaces, stormwater drainage or installing runway lighting.
Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack said, “These airstrips provide access for aero-medical flights, urgent supplies and allow people to travel to regional centres for essential work and appointments.
“We are investing in the future of regional communities by delivering better and safer access for regional Australians needing to travel.”
The key objective of the RAU Program is to enhance the safety and accessibility of aerodromes in remote or outback towns to help improve the movement of essential good and services.
Last year, it provided $10.1 million for 34 upgrades in Australia.
The full list of successful applicants is below:
New South Wales
- Nyngan Aerodrome Improvement Project
- Upgrade of Mungindi Aerodrome
- Tilpa Aerodrome Resealing Works
- Condobolin Aerodrome Fencing Project
- Coonamble Airport Improvement Works
- Territory-Wide Coordinated Solar Light Upgrade Program
- Territory-Wide Coordinated Aerodrome Fencing Program
- Territory-Wide Coordinated Wind Indicator and Signal Circle Upgrade Program
- Territory-Wide Coordinated Wind Sock Pole Upgrade Program
- Aerodrome Resheeting Program
- Aerodrome Sustainable Improvements
- Brunette Downs Airstrip Upgrade Project
- Anthony Lagoon Airstrip Upgrade Project 2020
- Wildlife Fencing of Aircraft Landing Areas (ALA) – Capella and Dingo
- Doomadgee Airstrip Upgrade
- Dajarra Airstrip Upgrade Project
- Normanton Aerodrome Linemarking
- Karumba Aerodrome Linemarking
- Burketown and Gregory Airstrip Safety Project
- Canobie Airstrip Upgrade
- Piccaninny Plains Wildlife Sanctuary Remote Airstrip Upgrade Project
- Upgrade to the Port Stewart Airstrip, Cape York
- Upgrade fencing for Badu, Kubin and Mabuiag Aerodromes
- Olkola Infrastructure Airstrip Upgrade
- Birdsville Aerodrome Crack Seal and Rejuvenation Project
- Augathella Airstrip Upgrade
- Blackall Aerodrome Safety Fencing Project
- Taylors Plains all Weather Upgrade
- Installation of Solar Taxi-Way Lights Isisford Airstrip
- Animal Exclusion fencing of the Adavale Airstrip
- Reseal Aramac Airstrip
- Reseal of Bordertown Airstrip
- Mannahill Aerodrome Upgrade
- Balcanoona Airstrip Animal-proof Fencing
- Cape Barren Island Airfield Upgrade
- Gascoyne Junction Airstrip Reseal
- Ardyaloon Airstrip Boundary Fence Replacement
- Coral Bay Airstrip Improvements
- Wyndham Aerodrome Perimeter Fence Replacement
- Djarindjin Lombadina Aerodrome Solar Runway Lighting Installation
- Parnngurr Community Airstrip and Apron Upgrade
- Warburton Aairstrip Upgrade
- Gnowangerup Aerodrome RNAV Instrument Flight Procedure Design
- Tjuntjuntjara Airstrip Lighting System Upgrade
- Wanarn Airstrip Lighting Upgrade
25% off starts now! Australian Aviation magazine Cyber Monday sale is now live. Have the very best of Australian Aviation’s annual print and digital subscription. This includes every In Focus and Behind the Lens digital magazine, special coverage, exclusive photos and editions you may have miss. Subscribe now at australianaviation.com.au.
Start your very own aviation journey with Australian Aviation. Sign up today for as little as $49.95 and you’ll enjoy access to:
You can always rely on us to keep you in the know.
Join now and start enjoying all these benefits today.