Applications are open for Queensland’s 2018 Aerospace Education Awards scholarships for secondary students looking to pursue a career in aviation.
There are 13 scholarships in this year’s awards worth a combined $25,000 as part of the Gateway to Industry Schools Program for Aerospace that was launched in Queensland in 2004.
There are 18 schools that are part of the program. They work with aerospace industry partners, local aerospace entities, training institutions and universities to create opportunities for students to get into Queensland’s aerospace industry after they leave school.
Queensland Minister for Training and Skills Development Shannon Fentiman said thanked the aerospace industry partners for their support of and commitment to the program.
“The annual Aerospace Education Awards provide a wonderful opportunity for career advancement and an insight into this fast-paced industry and I encourage the Gateway Schools’ teachers and students to apply,” Fentiman said in a statement on August 20.
The list of available scholarships is as follows:
- Year 10 GE Aviation Aerospace Award – sponsor: GE Aviation
- AYAA Future Aerospace Leader Award – sponsor: Australian Youth Aerospace Association
- Year 11 BAC Aerospace Studies Award – sponsor: Brisbane Airport Corporation
- Year 11 Qantas Quest Award – sponsor: Qantas Airways
- Year 12 Airways Aviation Aerospace Studies Award – sponsor: Airways Aviation
- Aeroskills Scholarship Award – sponsor Boeing Defence Australia
- Female Aerospace Student Award – sponsor: Boeing Defence Australia
- The Honourable Company of Air Pilots Award – sponsor: The Honourable Company of Air Pilots, Airways Aviation and Aviation Australia
- Australian Defence Force Aviation STEM Award – sponsor: Australian Defence Force
- TAE Aerospace Young Innovators Award – sponsor: TAE Aerospace
- The Royal Aeronautical Society Award – sponsor: Royal Aeronautical Society
- Spirit of Boeing Award – sponsor: Boeing Defence Australia
- Teacher Excellence Award – sponsors: Boeing Defence Australia, Brisbane Airport Corporation, GE Aviation and Virgin Australia
More information on the Gateway to Industry Schools Program for Aerospace can be found on the Queensland government’s Department of Employment, Small Business and Training website.
Fly into Spring with Australian Aviation’s latest print edition. Starting from $49.95 a year, you can read comprehensive coverage on all sectors of the industry to keep you in the loop. Get your hands on the subscription today. Subscribe now at australianaviation.com.au.