The fire, which started in a windscreen heating system, was observed by pilots while flying 427km SW of Guam on June 10 2009. The fire was extinguished by the crew and the aircraft diverted to Guam.
The ATSB report found that the fire had initiated from an electrical connection to the windscreen heating system, and concluded that the overheat failure was related to the use of a polysulfide sealant (PR1829) within the body of the electrical connector terminal block.
A subsequent safety action by Airbus has seen all A330 windscreens that had been produced with the PR1829 sealant to be replaced.
The full report is available at https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2009/aair/ao-2009-027.aspx
Fly into Spring with Australian Aviation’s latest print edition. Starting from $49.95 a year, you can read comprehensive coverage on all sectors of the industry to keep you in the loop. Get your hands on the subscription today. Subscribe now at australianaviation.com.au.