iPhone meltdown after flight

photo - Rex

An iPhone spontaneously combusted after a Regional Express flight from Lismore to Sydney, according to the airline.

The phone “started emitting a significant amount of dense smoke, accompanied by a red glow” after flight LZ319 landed in Sydney on Friday, Regional Express said. A flight attendent was able to extinguish the phone and no one was injured.

The airline has reported the incident to the ATSB and CASA for “investigation and directions.” CASA has previously warned about problems with lithium ion batteries in aircraft.