Close sidebar

Report: Qantas thinks again on Asian expansion

written by australianaviation.com.au | November 28, 2011
Qantas has decided to set aside plans for a premium Asian subsidiary, according to a report.

UPDATED: In a turnabout blamed on the shambolic state of the world economy, Qantas has decided to shelve plans to launch a premium carrier in Asia and will instead form an alliance with Malaysia Airlines, the Australian Financial Review has reported.

Qantas executives lost confidence in the capital-intensive venture as the European debt crises worsened and began to spread, the report said, citing company interviews.

Appearing on ABC Radio today, Qantas CEO Alan Joyce downplayed the report, saying the airline remained in talks with parties in Singapore and Malaysia and that no final decision had been made. He refused to be drawn on whether the airline would pursue an alliance with Malaysia Airlines, saying only that Qantas was pursuing a “range of options.”

Advertisement
Advertisement

The plans for the new airline, sometimes dubbed ‘RedQ’, which would have seen Qantas form a joint ventures in Singapore or Kuala Lumpur, had emerged as a key obstacle in fraught contract negotiations between Qantas and labour unions. Citing the plans, unions argued that Qantas intended to outsource much of its workforce to cheaper Asian markets and as a result demanded job security clauses as part of new contracts. Qantas denied plans to send local jobs overseas but said it could never agree to the clauses.

It’s not clear what effect the decision to abandon the new airline will have on the industrial dispute, which is headed for binding arbitration before Fair Work Australia, but setting aside the plan could make it easier for Qantas to argue that the job security measures are unnecessary. The airline told the Financial Review it had no plans to change its stance on the issue.

Qantas and Malaysia Airlines are expected to finalise a letter of intent in the coming weeks for a codesharing alliance that would allow joint pricing, marketing and scheduling to begin in roughly six to nine months, according to the report. The alliance will be similar to the one between Qantas and British Airways, but aimed at the Chinese and Indian markets. The alliance could eventually extend to subsidiary budget carriers AirAsia X and Jetstar.

Joyce and other executives reportedly hope to revive the plans for a new Asian subsidiary once economic conditions improve.  But the estimated $400 to $500 million initial investment in what had been codenamed Project Darwin was deemed too big a risk at a time of jittery markets.

PROMOTED CONTENT

25% off starts now! Australian Aviation magazine Cyber Monday sale is now live. Have the very best of Australian Aviation’s annual print and digital subscription. This includes every In Focus and Behind the Lens digital magazine, special coverage, exclusive photos and editions you may have miss. Subscribe now at australianaviation.com.au.

5 Comments

  • Tom

    says:

    Good, focus on the Australian market, offer better service and attract more international travellers to fly Qantas into Aus. We know what this airline can be and everyone should get behind it.

  • j bol

    says:

    I suppose the’ll cancel some of those A320neos on order?? Shouldn’t have ordered them in the first place – the 737Max is far more appealing. Is this Alan Joyce being a little to ambitious?????

  • Dane

    says:

    global expansion has been the death knoll for many local compaines, ABC Daycare was a perfect exapmle of how trying to launch something in a new market that wasnt ready for it failed.

  • Ron

    says:

    Just read on the ABC News website that Joyce has rejected the above report about shelving Qantasia, & claims that talks are continuing & it remains a central part of the Qantas strategy. Who’s right, who’s wrong?

  • Chris

    says:

    +1 Tom!!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Report: Qantas thinks again on Asian expansion

written by australianaviation.com.au | November 28, 2011
Qantas has decided to set aside plans for a premium Asian subsidiary, according to a report.

UPDATED: In a turnabout blamed on the shambolic state of the world economy, Qantas has decided to shelve plans to launch a premium carrier in Asia and will instead form an alliance with Malaysia Airlines, the Australian Financial Review has reported.

Qantas executives lost confidence in the capital-intensive venture as the European debt crises worsened and began to spread, the report said, citing company interviews.

Appearing on ABC Radio today, Qantas CEO Alan Joyce downplayed the report, saying the airline remained in talks with parties in Singapore and Malaysia and that no final decision had been made. He refused to be drawn on whether the airline would pursue an alliance with Malaysia Airlines, saying only that Qantas was pursuing a “range of options.”

Advertisement
Advertisement

The plans for the new airline, sometimes dubbed ‘RedQ’, which would have seen Qantas form a joint ventures in Singapore or Kuala Lumpur, had emerged as a key obstacle in fraught contract negotiations between Qantas and labour unions. Citing the plans, unions argued that Qantas intended to outsource much of its workforce to cheaper Asian markets and as a result demanded job security clauses as part of new contracts. Qantas denied plans to send local jobs overseas but said it could never agree to the clauses.

It’s not clear what effect the decision to abandon the new airline will have on the industrial dispute, which is headed for binding arbitration before Fair Work Australia, but setting aside the plan could make it easier for Qantas to argue that the job security measures are unnecessary. The airline told the Financial Review it had no plans to change its stance on the issue.

Qantas and Malaysia Airlines are expected to finalise a letter of intent in the coming weeks for a codesharing alliance that would allow joint pricing, marketing and scheduling to begin in roughly six to nine months, according to the report. The alliance will be similar to the one between Qantas and British Airways, but aimed at the Chinese and Indian markets. The alliance could eventually extend to subsidiary budget carriers AirAsia X and Jetstar.

Joyce and other executives reportedly hope to revive the plans for a new Asian subsidiary once economic conditions improve.  But the estimated $400 to $500 million initial investment in what had been codenamed Project Darwin was deemed too big a risk at a time of jittery markets.

PROMOTED CONTENT

25% off starts now! Australian Aviation magazine Cyber Monday sale is now live. Have the very best of Australian Aviation’s annual print and digital subscription. This includes every In Focus and Behind the Lens digital magazine, special coverage, exclusive photos and editions you may have miss. Subscribe now at australianaviation.com.au.

5 Comments

  • Tom

    says:

    Good, focus on the Australian market, offer better service and attract more international travellers to fly Qantas into Aus. We know what this airline can be and everyone should get behind it.

  • j bol

    says:

    I suppose the’ll cancel some of those A320neos on order?? Shouldn’t have ordered them in the first place – the 737Max is far more appealing. Is this Alan Joyce being a little to ambitious?????

  • Dane

    says:

    global expansion has been the death knoll for many local compaines, ABC Daycare was a perfect exapmle of how trying to launch something in a new market that wasnt ready for it failed.

  • Ron

    says:

    Just read on the ABC News website that Joyce has rejected the above report about shelving Qantasia, & claims that talks are continuing & it remains a central part of the Qantas strategy. Who’s right, who’s wrong?

  • Chris

    says:

    +1 Tom!!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Report: Qantas thinks again on Asian expansion

written by australianaviation.com.au | November 28, 2011
Qantas has decided to set aside plans for a premium Asian subsidiary, according to a report.

UPDATED: In a turnabout blamed on the shambolic state of the world economy, Qantas has decided to shelve plans to launch a premium carrier in Asia and will instead form an alliance with Malaysia Airlines, the Australian Financial Review has reported.

Qantas executives lost confidence in the capital-intensive venture as the European debt crises worsened and began to spread, the report said, citing company interviews.

Appearing on ABC Radio today, Qantas CEO Alan Joyce downplayed the report, saying the airline remained in talks with parties in Singapore and Malaysia and that no final decision had been made. He refused to be drawn on whether the airline would pursue an alliance with Malaysia Airlines, saying only that Qantas was pursuing a “range of options.”

Advertisement
Advertisement

The plans for the new airline, sometimes dubbed ‘RedQ’, which would have seen Qantas form a joint ventures in Singapore or Kuala Lumpur, had emerged as a key obstacle in fraught contract negotiations between Qantas and labour unions. Citing the plans, unions argued that Qantas intended to outsource much of its workforce to cheaper Asian markets and as a result demanded job security clauses as part of new contracts. Qantas denied plans to send local jobs overseas but said it could never agree to the clauses.

It’s not clear what effect the decision to abandon the new airline will have on the industrial dispute, which is headed for binding arbitration before Fair Work Australia, but setting aside the plan could make it easier for Qantas to argue that the job security measures are unnecessary. The airline told the Financial Review it had no plans to change its stance on the issue.

Qantas and Malaysia Airlines are expected to finalise a letter of intent in the coming weeks for a codesharing alliance that would allow joint pricing, marketing and scheduling to begin in roughly six to nine months, according to the report. The alliance will be similar to the one between Qantas and British Airways, but aimed at the Chinese and Indian markets. The alliance could eventually extend to subsidiary budget carriers AirAsia X and Jetstar.

Joyce and other executives reportedly hope to revive the plans for a new Asian subsidiary once economic conditions improve.  But the estimated $400 to $500 million initial investment in what had been codenamed Project Darwin was deemed too big a risk at a time of jittery markets.

PROMOTED CONTENT

25% off starts now! Australian Aviation magazine Cyber Monday sale is now live. Have the very best of Australian Aviation’s annual print and digital subscription. This includes every In Focus and Behind the Lens digital magazine, special coverage, exclusive photos and editions you may have miss. Subscribe now at australianaviation.com.au.

5 Comments

  • Tom

    says:

    Good, focus on the Australian market, offer better service and attract more international travellers to fly Qantas into Aus. We know what this airline can be and everyone should get behind it.

  • j bol

    says:

    I suppose the’ll cancel some of those A320neos on order?? Shouldn’t have ordered them in the first place – the 737Max is far more appealing. Is this Alan Joyce being a little to ambitious?????

  • Dane

    says:

    global expansion has been the death knoll for many local compaines, ABC Daycare was a perfect exapmle of how trying to launch something in a new market that wasnt ready for it failed.

  • Ron

    says:

    Just read on the ABC News website that Joyce has rejected the above report about shelving Qantasia, & claims that talks are continuing & it remains a central part of the Qantas strategy. Who’s right, who’s wrong?

  • Chris

    says:

    +1 Tom!!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Each day, our subscribers are more informed with the right information.

SIGN UP to the Australian Aviation magazine for high-quality news and features for just $99.95 per year