Close sidebar

JobKeeper-style aid for international aviation to continue

written by Adam Thorn | September 20, 2021
Qantas Boeing 787-9 VH-ZNJ lands in Sydney after flying nonstop from London. (Qantas)
Qantas Boeing 787-9 VH-ZNJ lands in Sydney after flying nonstop from London. (Qantas)

The federal government has announced it will give another $184 million to international aviation to tide the sector over until March 2022.

The money will primarily include a continuation of JobKeeper-style payments to pilots and cabin crew that was originally due to expire next month, as well as a further $64 million for airports to pay for screening of passengers and baggage.

It comes weeks after Qantas and Jetstar revealed they would reinstate international schedules in mid-December between Australia and low-risk countries such as Singapore, the US, Japan, the UK, Canada and Fiji. The news that payments will continue suggests the government is anticipating a staggered opening of borders to different countries.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce, who oversees transport policy, said, “As a driver of so many sectors of our economy, it is essential that the industry is ready to ramp up operations when international restrictions are eased.

“It’s also important that the sector continues operating now, to maintain the flow of exports and imports and bring Australians home from overseas.”

Airports that will get money for screening include Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth, and means the total amount of government support for aviation during COVID has now gone over $5 billion.

Currently, Australian citizens and permanent residents can only leave the country with an exemption, with Qantas having halted all commercial international flights other than government-supplemented repatriations.

PROMOTED CONTENT

Those returning must hotel quarantine for two weeks, but there is hope the federal government will have relaxed that rule later this year, in favour of home quarantine or proof of vaccination status.

Qantas has previously said its international re-opening is likely to be “gradual”, with a focus on low-risk countries first, including those with high vaccination uptake including the UK, US, and parts of Asia.

Last week, Australian Aviation reported that 50 Qantas aircrew would take part in a home-isolation trial in NSW that will pave the way for the abolition of hotel quarantine for international arrivals.

In total, 175 people will be allowed to stay at home for seven days, rather than in a supervised facility for 14, and the trial will begin this month. It has been suggested location-based apps and facial recognition technology could be used to ensure compliance.

The trial will initially include people who will be selected by NSW Health and may include the state’s residents, non-Australians and Qantas air crew.

NSW Tourism Minister Stuart Ayres said, “We have been working with Qantas aircrew and staff for a number of months now and will include some of those people in this trial to conduct their quarantine at home.”

Minister Ayres hailed the move as an “important step” that has been driven by the accelerated vaccine take-up.

“This is a trial, and about testing different types of accommodation, apartments and homes,” said Minister Ayres.

“We want to ensure we get the spread right. This isn’t about prioritising individuals or people who have been overseas. It’s about ensuring we conduct the trial properly and build the base of evidence, so we can remove our hotel quarantine system for the majority of people who are coming into Australia.

“We can’t stay closed forever. We’ve got to be able to learn what happens when we put people into home-based quarantine.

“Australia must reopen. We must get rid of lockdowns, we must get rid of home quarantine, we must re-engage with the world.

“Sydney is a global city and it must engage with the globe. This is an important step in that direction.”

The trial will only apply to those who have been double vaccinated with Australian-approved vaccines, and would build on evidence collected through an earlier SA trial.

25% off starts now! Australian Aviation magazine Cyber Monday sale is now live. Have the very best of Australian Aviation’s annual print and digital subscription. This includes every In Focus and Behind the Lens digital magazine, special coverage, exclusive photos and editions you may have miss. Subscribe now at australianaviation.com.au.

2 Comments

  • Stephen Wesley

    says:

    Never look a gift horse in the mouth, however, do our government, state or federal, realise aviation’s greatest asset, the skilled and licensed staff, are finding work either outside the industry, or in another country already ahead of our border restrictions. Our once great international airlines may be delegated to good domestic, and fair international operator standing.

  • Kenneth

    says:

    I can’t help smiling, every time I read QF wants to start int flying to low risk countries, and then US and UK are included. They are considered high risk by most other countries in the world. Though, to their defence, they both have high vaccination rates. I guess the drive is more about that both are big and important markets for QF, and less about the risk status 🤷‍♂️

    Glad to see QF crew taking part in the home quarantine trial. That lowers the risk of test people breaching the rules, and ruining the option for others later on, as it should be in the interest of QF crew that the test is successful, so quarantine and isolation requirements can be eased.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Each day, our subscribers are more informed with the right information.

SIGN UP to the Australian Aviation magazine for high-quality news and features for just $99.95 per year