Brisbane Airport has taken out three awards at the Australian Airports Association (AAA) national conference.
The airport was named capital city airport of the year, with a delighted Brisbane Airport chief executive Julieanne Alroe accepting the trophy at the AAA awards presentation held on the Gold Coast on Tuesday evening.
Brisbane Airport also took out the corporate project of the year for more than 30 staff, for Airbiz Aviation Strategies’ preparation of a report on aircraft noise projections for the airport.
And Mark Willey, Brisbane Airport’s head of airport development and master planner, received the individual award for airport excellence in a capital city airport.
“Regardless of the challenges, every person at BAC is focused on making Brisbane Airport world best and if the awards we’ve received for everything from our environmental sustainability projects and disability access to excellence in customer service are any indication, we’re definitely headed in the right direction,” Alroe said.
Meanwhile, the AAA awarded Secretary of the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development Mike Mrdak a special award for an “individual contribution to the Australian airport industry”.
Full list of awards:
- Capital City Airport of the Year – Brisbane Airport
- Major Airport of the Year – Alice Springs Airport
- Regional Airport of the Year (50,000-499,999 passengers) – Broome Airport
- Regional Airport of the Year (up to 50,000 passengers) – Tennant Creek Airport
- Non-RPT Certified Airport of the Year – Onslow Airport
- Non-Certified Aerodrome of the Year – Lethbridge Airport
- Corporate Project of the Year (fewer than 30 staff) – Aviation Projects for their input into the business case for the proposed expansion of facilities at Busselton Regional Airport
- Corporate Project of the Year (more than 30 staff) – Airbiz Aviation Strategies for the preparation of aircraft noise projections for Brisbane Airport
- Individual Award for Airport Excellence in a Capital City Airport – Mark Willey, head of airport development/master planner, Brisbane Airport
- Individual Award for Airport Excellence in a Major Airport – Kate McCreery-Carr, general manager operations, Cairns Airport
- Individual Award for Airport Excellence in a Regional Airport – Rob Menzies, executive director – projects, Broome Airport
National Airport Safety Award winners:
- National Major Airport winners – Mike New (Baggage Systems Manager, Melbourne Airport) and Craig Manester (Operations Manager, BCS)
- National Regional Airport winner – Safety Event Reporting and Analysis (SERA) project, Karratha Airport
- SITA Innovation Award – Melbourne Airport for its T2 international departures check-in project
- Special award for an individual Contribution to the Australian Airport Industry – Mike Mrdak, Secretary of the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development.