The US Federal Aviation Authority (FAA) has approved Required Navigation Performance – Authorisation Required (RNP AR) procedures on the 787 fleet.
Operators that fly RNP AR procedures significantly reduce fuel burn, emissions and airport congestion by flying precisely along a predefined route using advanced on-board navigation systems together with GPS-based global navigation satellite systems.
As an FAA-approved RNP application service provider, Boeing can now offer 787 customers support as they apply for approval to use RNP AR procedures on their fleets.
“This approval enables us to help Boeing customers realise the full potential of their 787s,” said Mike Caflisch, Boeing’s director of airspace programs. “Our extensive experience in obtaining RNP AR operational approvals allows us to help customers move through the rigorous RNP AR operational approval process more efficiently, giving them a competitive advantage in the marketplace. In the long run, all industry stakeholders benefit as more airlines derive fuel and operating efficiencies via RNP, the overall efficiency of global air traffic improves and the environmental footprint is reduced.”
Achieving regulatory approval requires an airplane operator to demonstrate that they have:
- Airplanes equipped to fly narrow, GPS-guided RNP AR flight procedures, requiring accuracy down to as little as one-tenth of a nautical mile
- Training in place for flight crews and dispatchers
- The ability to ensure sufficient GPS coverage for the planned route at the planned date and time (RNP availability prediction)
- Flight crew operating procedures
- The ability to ensure that RNP navigation charts and databases are accurate and current (navigation database validation)
- Flight procedures designed and in place.
Boeing RNP AR application services are already available to operators of Next-Generation 737s, BBJs and 777s.
Steer your own in-flight experience – available on print and digital Whether our classic glossy magazine in your letterbox, daily news updates in your inbox, peeling back a few layers in the podcast or our monthly current affair reports, you can count on us to keep you up to date. Sign up today for just $99.95 for more exclusive offers here. Subscribe now at australianaviation.com.au.