Virgin Australia will increase flights between Brisbane and Emerald, Newcastle and Rockhampton, citing strong demand from the corporate and resource sectors.
Weekday Brisbane-Emerald flights will increase from three to four per day, while a third service will be added on Sundays and a Saturday service will be introduced for the first time. Brisbane-Rockhampton flights will increase from seven to eight per weekday, while Brisbane-Newcastle will increase from two to three flights Mondays to Fridays.
In all, Virgin said the increases would add 2,450 seats per week to its network. The Emerald and Rockhampton services are aboard ATR 72 turboprops, while the Newcastle service is aboard a Fokker 100 wetleased from Alliance Airlines, extending an existing arrangement.
Virgin said it had adjusted the flight times to enable better onward domestic and international connections through Brisbane. The new flight times are as follows:
Brisbane-Emerald, commencing October 29:
- Brisbane to Emerald: depart 10:00am; arrive 11:55am Monday-Friday and Sunday
- Brisbane to Emerald: depart 8:55am; arrive 10:50am Saturday only
- Emerald to Brisbane: depart 12:25pm; arrive 2:10pm Monday-Friday and Sunday
- Emerald to Brisbane: depart 11.20am; arrive 1.05pm Saturday only
Brisbane-Newcastle, commencing November 12:
- Brisbane to Newcastle: depart 6:00am; arrive 8.20am Monday-Friday
- Newcastle to Brisbane: depart 8:50 am; arrive 9:00am (local) Monday-Friday
Brisbane-Rockhampton, commencing November 12:
- Brisbane to Rockhampton: depart 4:45pm; arrive 6:20pm Monday-Friday and Sunday
- Rockhampton to Brisbane: depart 6:50pm; arrive 8:20pm Monday-Friday and Sunday