Powered by MOMENTUM MEDIA
australian aviation logo

NSW man, 63, charged over Canberra Airport shooting

written by Adam Thorn | August 15, 2022

Canberra Airport terminal

A 63-year-old man from NSW has been charged with three offences after allegedly firing five rounds at Canberra airport yesterday.

He’s set to appear at ACT Magistrates Court on Monday morning, where bail will be opposed.

It follows reports that passengers ran for cover during the “terrifying” incident at the departures terminal on Sunday when the suspect apparently shot five times at windows. Nobody was injured.

“Emergency 000 calls were placed by the public, and AFP Airport Police who are stationed within the airport terminal apprehended the man,” a statement by ACT police said.

Police later confirmed they believed the person was acting alone, allowing the airport to reopen at 5pm despite the incident taking place at 1.25pm.

==
==

The man has been charged with discharging a firearm at a building, unlawful possession of a firearm, and discharging a firearm near a person causing alarm.

State police are now urging any witnesses who haven’t previously come forward to call Crimestoppers on 1800 333 000 and quote reference 7187298.

ABC reporter Lily Thomson was at the airport and told the broadcaster, “I saw this grandma with a baby and the fear in her face and I knew it was something serious.

“So we all ran, and I stayed with that grandma and her baby and hid behind an information desk. We stayed there for a couple of minutes until security told us to evacuate out to the car park.

“Everyone was hiding behind chairs, and people were running.

“It was terrifying. We didn’t know what was going on. The look on people’s faces was quite terrifying.”

You need to be a member to post comments. Become a member today!

You don't have credit card details available. You will be redirected to update payment method page. Click OK to continue.