Tourism Australia launches international campaign

written by Adam Thorn | September 30, 2020

Tourism Australia has launched the first major campaign to woo international tourists since the start of the coronavirus crisis – despite indications from the government that borders won’t open until well into next year.

The government agency has released six “immersive” videos that use new technology to attempt to replicate the experience of physically being at Australian landmarks such as Uluru, Fraser Island and the Sydney Opera House.

It comes days after Health Minister Greg Hunt, Trade Minister Simon Birmingham and New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern signalled trans-Tasman flights could restart before the end of the year.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Tourism Australia’s campaign, which you can view here, uses “innovative 8D audio technology” to replicate the sights, sounds and textures of six major attractions.

The videos are themed by colour, which the group said can “evoke a range of feelings and emotions”, and are supported by articles on Australia.com.

Tourism Australia managing director Phillipa Harrison said, “Many people have had to put their travel plans on hold this year, but reassuringly the demand for Australian holiday experiences hasn’t waned with many still dreaming about travelling here in the future.

“Although the current border restrictions mean that international travellers can’t visit right now, we need to continue to keep Australia top of mind through bold and engaging initiatives, and remind them of the exceptional experiences that await them when they can travel here again.

PROMOTED CONTENT

“Australia is such unique and diverse destination and this collection of new videos captures the unique colours, sights and sounds of some of our most spectacular landscapes – giving people a real sense of being there in the moment.”

Earlier this week, Australian Aviation reported how plans for flights between Australia and New Zealand appear to have significantly ramped up after Health Minister Greg Hunt said the government is now “working at speed” to open the route.

He even revealed the government would consider initially allowing one-way travel to get things moving quicker.

“We’re not requiring that New Zealand allows Australians back immediately, but they are working towards it. So we’d like to be able to allow friends, family, tourists to come to Australia,” Minister Hunt said.

The news came alongside similar comments by PM Ardern and Minister Birmingham.

It marked a huge U-turn after PM Arden earlier said plans had been placed on the backburner and Air New Zealand chief executive Greg Foran said he didn’t believe the routes would start until 2021.

Did you know that Australian Aviation Magazine comes digitally? Subscribe to Australian Aviation’s digital magazine for just $59.95 a year! Our app is available on mobile, tablet and PC devices! Subscribe now at australianaviation.com.au.

2 Comments

  • Riel

    says:

    We hope soon that international tourist that has already had a visa since March 2020 could enter to South Australia, especially skilled workers that was nominated by thier employer.tnx,from philippines.

  • Tim

    says:

    So we will let international visitors arrive but will not allow our own citizens to depart without permission, crazy times.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Each day, our subscribers are more informed with the right information.

SIGN UP to the Australian Aviation magazine for high-quality news and features for just $99.95 per year