Close sidebar

International chief La Spina to exit Qantas after 14 years

written by Adam Thorn | August 24, 2020
Qantas Boeing 787-9 VH-ZNJ lands in Sydney after flying nonstop from London. (Qantas)
Qantas Boeing 787-9 VH-ZNJ lands in Sydney after flying nonstop from London. (Qantas)

Qantas has announced Tino La Spina, who heads up international flights, will leave the business in September after 14 years’ service.

The airline also confirmed speculation that chief executive Alan Joyce is again receiving a salary after working for free during the last quarter of the financial year – though will earn 65 per cent of his normal income.

The news comes shortly after Qantas blamed a “near-total collapse in travel demand” for recording a statutory loss before tax of $2.7 billion and announced 6,000 jobs will be made redundant.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Announcing the news of La Spina’s exit, Joyce said, “It’s increasingly clear that our international flights will be grounded until at least mid-2021 and it will take years for activity to return to what it was before.

“Under those circumstances, we’ve made the decision to consolidate the domestic and international business units under a single divisional CEO.”

La Spina has worked at Qantas since 2006 but has been in his current role for less than a year. Previously, he had been chief financial officer, deputy chief financial officer, executive manager – finance and commercial for Qantas loyalty, and general manager for strategy.

His current responsibilities will be absorbed by the chief executive of Qantas Domestic, Andrew David, who also oversees freight.

PROMOTED CONTENT

“Tino has done a superb job throughout his 14 years at Qantas,” said Joyce. “He’s a talented executive who brings his trademark enthusiasm to every challenge. I know I speak for the rest of the executive team and for the board in thanking him sincerely for the huge contribution he has made, particularly as deputy CFO and then CFO for most of that time.”

In June, the wider Qantas group announced it would cut 6,000 jobs altogether, or nearly 20 per cent of its workforce, and continue stand-downs for a further 15,000 employees.

Two months later, its full-year financial results revealed a loss before tax of $2.7 billion and an underlying profit before tax of just $124 million.

Joyce said the results were “shaped by extraordinary events that have made for the worst trading conditions in our 100-year history”.

“To put it simply, we’re an airline that can’t really fly to many places – at least for now,” he said.

Steer your own in-flight experience – available on print and digital Whether our classic glossy magazine in your letterbox, daily news updates in your inbox, peeling back a few layers in the podcast or our monthly current affair reports, you can count on us to keep you up to date. Sign up today for just $99.95 for more exclusive offers here. Subscribe now at australianaviation.com.au.

2 Comments

  • jffk

    says:

    So why is he still there – and still staying for another month?
    If he’s in charge of international flights and Qantas stopped those months ago, what has he been doing all this time?
    Why wasn’t he stood down months ago like all the other workers?

  • Lucien

    says:

    To JFFK above…….

    Simply because he’d be on a Contract, & would need to complete its’ terms before leaving.
    There are also contractual terms’ that the Company must fulfil, in regard to his employment status, as well.
    Obviously you’ve never been on a work contract.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

International chief La Spina to exit Qantas after 14 years

written by Adam Thorn | August 24, 2020
Qantas Boeing 787-9 VH-ZNJ lands in Sydney after flying nonstop from London. (Qantas)
Qantas Boeing 787-9 VH-ZNJ lands in Sydney after flying nonstop from London. (Qantas)

Qantas has announced Tino La Spina, who heads up international flights, will leave the business in September after 14 years’ service.

The airline also confirmed speculation that chief executive Alan Joyce is again receiving a salary after working for free during the last quarter of the financial year – though will earn 65 per cent of his normal income.

The news comes shortly after Qantas blamed a “near-total collapse in travel demand” for recording a statutory loss before tax of $2.7 billion and announced 6,000 jobs will be made redundant.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Announcing the news of La Spina’s exit, Joyce said, “It’s increasingly clear that our international flights will be grounded until at least mid-2021 and it will take years for activity to return to what it was before.

“Under those circumstances, we’ve made the decision to consolidate the domestic and international business units under a single divisional CEO.”

La Spina has worked at Qantas since 2006 but has been in his current role for less than a year. Previously, he had been chief financial officer, deputy chief financial officer, executive manager – finance and commercial for Qantas loyalty, and general manager for strategy.

His current responsibilities will be absorbed by the chief executive of Qantas Domestic, Andrew David, who also oversees freight.

PROMOTED CONTENT

“Tino has done a superb job throughout his 14 years at Qantas,” said Joyce. “He’s a talented executive who brings his trademark enthusiasm to every challenge. I know I speak for the rest of the executive team and for the board in thanking him sincerely for the huge contribution he has made, particularly as deputy CFO and then CFO for most of that time.”

In June, the wider Qantas group announced it would cut 6,000 jobs altogether, or nearly 20 per cent of its workforce, and continue stand-downs for a further 15,000 employees.

Two months later, its full-year financial results revealed a loss before tax of $2.7 billion and an underlying profit before tax of just $124 million.

Joyce said the results were “shaped by extraordinary events that have made for the worst trading conditions in our 100-year history”.

“To put it simply, we’re an airline that can’t really fly to many places – at least for now,” he said.

Steer your own in-flight experience – available on print and digital Whether our classic glossy magazine in your letterbox, daily news updates in your inbox, peeling back a few layers in the podcast or our monthly current affair reports, you can count on us to keep you up to date. Sign up today for just $99.95 for more exclusive offers here. Subscribe now at australianaviation.com.au.

2 Comments

  • jffk

    says:

    So why is he still there – and still staying for another month?
    If he’s in charge of international flights and Qantas stopped those months ago, what has he been doing all this time?
    Why wasn’t he stood down months ago like all the other workers?

  • Lucien

    says:

    To JFFK above…….

    Simply because he’d be on a Contract, & would need to complete its’ terms before leaving.
    There are also contractual terms’ that the Company must fulfil, in regard to his employment status, as well.
    Obviously you’ve never been on a work contract.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Each day, our subscribers are more informed with the right information.

SIGN UP to the Australian Aviation magazine for high-quality news and features for just $99.95 per year