Close sidebar

Government extends funding to female pilot scholarship

written by Adam Thorn | June 1, 2020
F-35A Lightning II aircraft A35-015 arrives at No. 3 Squadron at RAAF Base Williamtown. (Defence)

The government has extended funding to provide scholarships to wannabee female pilots for another four years.

Each year the Australian Women Pilots’ Association (AWPA) awards two Chief of Air Force’s Flying Scholarships to applicants aged between 16 and 24.

The prize, which began in 2011, is open to those who are already undertaking training for a pilot’s licence.

Minister for Defence Linda Reynolds said, “Pursuing a career as a pilot can be incredibly expensive and challenging.

“These scholarships, valued at $14,350, are designed to help young women make their flying dreams a reality, while also supporting Defence’s objective to increase female participation within the aviation sector.

“Since the scholarships started in 2011, winners have gone on to accept flying positions in the aviation industry, including two recipients who have since become pilots in the Air Force.”

The AWPA was founded in 1950 by a group of 25 women after a meeting at Bankstown Airport in Sydney.

PROMOTED CONTENT

4 Comments

• Bill O'Really?

says:

You use a term like wannabee female pilots on the same page as the ATC sexual discrimination story?? You are part of the problem in the ‘culture’ of aviation then aren’t you?

• Adam Thorn

says:

I don’t think so. If you’re training, you’re clearly not fully qualified, so, in that sense, I don’t believe it’s a derogatory term. It’s about the interpretation of words, and people will naturally see different meanings in different phrases. When I’m writing, I’m always trying to vary language to avoid repetition, too.

I would like to think the important thing is we’re running these stories because we feel they’re important issues for the industry to consider.

I hope that explains my thinking and thanks for your comment.

Adam

• Jackson James

says:

I have a daughter who is 14yrs old her name is Hope, she has a dream of becoming a pilot since she was very young. She is studying in secondary school in secondary school form-2. I am think about how she will be able to achieve her dream especially keeping in mind the cost of pilot courses! I was seeking for advise on how we can support her as to achieve her dream as it will be for the benefit of this world for a young lady who is GOD fearing girl to become a pilot who can be much trusted.

• James Asugeni

says:

My Daughter has completed her ATPL courses this year and wish to go further in her carrier.
    wish to apply for Scholarship for further training in becoming flight Instructor

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Government extends funding to female pilot scholarship

written by Adam Thorn | June 1, 2020

PROMOTED CONTENT

4 Comments

• Bill O'Really?

• Adam Thorn

says:

I hope that explains my thinking and thanks for your comment.

Adam

• Jackson James

• James Asugeni

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Government extends funding to female pilot scholarship

written by Adam Thorn | June 1, 2020

PROMOTED CONTENT

4 Comments

• Bill O'Really?

• Adam Thorn

says:

I hope that explains my thinking and thanks for your comment.

Adam

• Jackson James

• James Asugeni

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Government extends funding to female pilot scholarship

written by Adam Thorn | June 1, 2020

PROMOTED CONTENT

4 Comments

• Bill O'Really?

• Adam Thorn

says:

I hope that explains my thinking and thanks for your comment.

Adam

• Jackson James

• James Asugeni

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Each day, our subscribers are more informed with the right information.

SIGN UP to the Australian Aviation magazine for high-quality news and features for just $99.95 per year