Carmody, who was deputy chief executive of CASA between October 2006 and October 2009, has been acting in the role since October 2016, following previous CASA director of aviation safety and CEO Mark Skidmore’s resignation from the position in August 2016.
“The new Director of Aviation Safety was chosen after an international search for the best available person to further develop CASA as a world leader in aviation safety regulation,” CASA chairman Jeff Boyd said in a statement on Wednesday.
“CASA’s board has full confidence that under the continued leadership of Shane Carmody, Australia’s excellent aviation safety record can be further enhanced.”
Carmody has previously committed to leading a CASA that is “firm, fair and balanced”.
“My focus is on delivering a firm, fair and balanced aviation safety regulation system, promoting a positive and collaborative approach,” Carmody told the Regional Aviation Association of Australia’s annual convention last October.
“Many would argue that CASA doesn’t always get this right and I agree absolutely. But the industry doesn’t always get it right either and a lot of you would agree with that.”
“So somewhere in between is the reality.”
Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Darren Chester said Carmody’s appointment will ensure CASA “retains strong leadership into the future”.
“Under Mr Carmody CASA has already commenced the examination of a number of priority issues raised by industry including fatigue rules, aviation medical, and targeted regulatory reform,” the Minister said in a statement.
Free Aviation news, delivered to your inbox
Sign up to our Australian Aviation Express email newsletter to receive the latest in aviation.
“I look forward to continuing to work with Mr Carmody and the CASA board to ensure that CASA implements the government’s recently announced Statement of Expectations which will focus on regulatory activity that is pragmatic, practical and proportionate, and continues to maintain Australia’s strong aviation safety record.”
Shane Carmody career highlights
- October 2016 – Acting Chief Executive Officer and Director of Aviation Safety
- April 2016 – October 2016 Deputy Secretary, Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development.
- June 2014 – April 2016 Deputy Secretary / Chief Executive Officer, Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- June 2009 – June 2014 Deputy President of the Repatriation Commission; member Military, Rehabilitation and Compensation Commission
- October 2006 – October 2009 Deputy Chief Executive Officer, Civil Aviation Safety Authority
- January – October 2006 Deputy Secretary Intelligence and Security, Department of Defence
- July 2002 – December 2005 Deputy Secretary Strategy, Department of Defence
- June 2001 – January 2002 Deputy Secretary Intelligence and Security, Department of Defence
Start your very own aviation journey with Australian Aviation. Sign up today for as little as $49.95 and you’ll enjoy access to:
You can always rely on us to keep you in the know.
Join now and start enjoying all these benefits today.