Qantas flags further job cuts

written by australianaviation.com.au | March 6, 2012
Qantas says it expects demand for heavy maintenance work to fall by 60 per cent over the next five years. (Seth Jaworski)

Qantas expects a 60 per cent drop in labour demand at its heavy maintenance facilities in Australia over the next five years, the airline has said in comments that could pave the way for further job cuts.

Qantas last month announced plans to consolidate maintenance facilities in Brisbane, Melbourne and Avalon that together employ 1460 workers. At the same time, the airline announced 500 job cuts in maintenance and catering operations.

The release of the 60 per cent figure, in a report in The Australian, represents the first time Qantas has given a public hint as to how much it might further reduce its workforce. Qantas said the reduction in maintenance demand would result from more efficient maintenance systems and the replacement of ageing aircraft with new models that require less work.

Advertisement
Advertisement

The airline has also said it will not do heavy maintenance work on its Airbus A380s in Australia.

The Australian said the airline is considering several options, the most dramatic of which would be to close two of the three Australian facilities and consolidate all operations at the surviving plant.

Did you know that Australian Aviation Magazine comes digitally? Subscribe to Australian Aviation’s digital magazine for just $59.95 a year! Our app is available on mobile, tablet and PC devices! Subscribe now at australianaviation.com.au.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Each day, our subscribers are more informed with the right information.

SIGN UP to the Australian Aviation magazine for high-quality news and features for just $99.95 per year