Close sidebar

Ban on liquids to be eased by 2013

written by australianaviation.com.au | November 22, 2011

Travellers in Australia will no longer be banned from taking liquids on international flights once new explosive detection equipment comes online, the federal government has announced, saying the machines would be installed by 2013.

Approval of new “multi-view explosive detection x-ray machines and bottled liquid scanners” follows trials at Sydney and Melbourne airports last year that saw the machines successful in detecting liquid explosives. The trails were conducted jointly with the US and UK.

At present, international passengers cannot carry any container of liquid larger than 100 ml onto an international flight. The government says passengers are forced to surrender an average of 1250 bottles of perfume, alcohol and other duty free items a month at Sydney Airport alone, in addition to 8000 “non valuable” items such as water bottles.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Transport Minister Anthony Albanese said ending the ban would mean one less inconvenience for passengers and would free security personnel to “concentrate on the real threats.”

The ban on liquids was imposed in 2006 after a failed attempt to use liquid explosives to blow up flights between Britain and North America.

Sign up to our digital magazine before 30 June and receive a FREE print edition. Starting at just $99.95 a year, you will get the latest news and insights direct to you, including Australia’s most popular print magazine since 1977. Subscribe now at australianaviation.com.au.

Each day, our subscribers are more informed with the right information.

SIGN UP to the Australian Aviation magazine for high-quality news and features for just $99.95 per year