Qantas’s new, more restrictive domestic checked baggage policy came into effect on June 1.
The changes for allowances on Qantas and QantasLink domestic services are now as follows (excluding QantasLink flights to/from Lord Howe Island, Olympic Dam and Mount Hotham):
- Economy: 1 piece (maximum 23kg)
- Business: 1 piece (maximum 32kg)
- Qantas Club members 1 piece (maximum 32kg) regardless of travel class
- Silver and Gold Frequent Flyers: 1 piece for Economy, 2 pieces for Business (both maximum 32kg each)
- Platinum Frequent Flyers 2 pieces (maximum 32kg each) regardless of travel clas
Beyond those limits passengers will be charged excess baggage fees.
Passengers travelling on domestic sectors as part of an international itinerary will be subject to international baggage allowances, while parents travelling with infants will be able to check-in three free infant items up to 10kg, and parents travelling with children may check-in one stroller and one car seat free of charge.
Qantas says the changes form part of its “faster, smarter” ‘Next Gen’ check-in program rollout.