A Piper Comanche completed the first touch and go landing on Brisbane’s new $1.1 billion runway on Saturday.
The test was one of two flight checks conducted in advance of the first passenger jet landing on Saturday, 12 July.
The second, overseen by Airservices Australia, tested the approaches from the north and south without touching down.
Brisbane’s runway project director Paul Coughlan said the pre-opening procedures aimed to test the lighting system that provide “critical guidance” to aircraft approach, including the Precision Approach Path Indicator and runway lightning.
“Another significant milestone was achieved earlier this week, with the introduction of airspace changes and new flight paths from Thursday, 21 May,” said Coughlan.
“Brisbane residents may notice some changes overhead with these new flight paths coming into effect in preparation for the opening of the Brisbane’s new runway.”
A touch and go landing is one where an aircraft touches down but then, without stopping, continues to take off.
The test flights are part of several conducted since March and form a part of the so-called operational readiness and testing program which included emergency exercises, the decommissioning of Runway 14/32 and the implementation of stop bars.
Meanwhile, Brisbane Airport’s new flight paths came into effect from 21 May in preparation for the opening of its new runway.
Once the new strip is in operation, aircraft will be able to take off over the bay at night, rather than across the city, reducing noise for locals.
The airport has also updated its flight path website, allowing residents to type in their address to find out information as to when aircraft will be flying overhead, before and after the runway’s unveiling.
Earlier this month, Australian Aviation reported that Brisbane Airport’s new runway was completed under the eerie quiet of a coronavirus lockdown.
The project will slowly double the hub’s passenger numbers from 23.4 million to more than 50 million by 2040, increasing daily flights to 110 aircraft movements an hour.
The project was conceived 15 years ago and its construction was a joint venture between BMD Constructions and CPB Contractors.
At its peak, 650 people were onsite in mid-2019 and 324 subcontractors were hired, with around 90 per cent based in south-east Queensland. In total, the state reclaimed 11 million cubic metres of sand from Moreton Bay as part of the works.